Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Home Sleep Deprivation (is worse than the college version)

My horrible sleeping habits have officially gotten out of hand, and I'm turning to y'all for advice.

Yesterday, my dad and I drove about 13 hours between us, from Washington D.C. to Milwaukee. When I got home, I was so exhausted I couldn't tell the difference between 'your' and 'you're' (which, for an English major and grammar nerd, is like forgetting the difference between elephants and robots) and sat through an entire Beethoven symphony without noticing it (which got you tarred and feathered in the 19th century). So I'm completely gone, I go to bed at 1 and wake up around seven A.M. This is just not cosmically fair. I'm the kind of person who needs eight-plus hours to function best, and you would think that this would be the mother of all excuses for my body to pack it in for a night. Nothing doing.

It's not like this was just a one-night issue, either. I don't think I've gotten a decent night of sleep since coming home from college in mid-May. I've varied every single thing I can think of; slept in a cot, put a fan in my room, gone to bed ridiculously late or early, gotten drunk with friends, etc. Nothing has worked. I get a maximum of six hours of restful sleep, full stop.

So... would anyone care to suggest anything? Advice? I'm fresh out of ideas, but I have huge purple crescents under my eyes that I would love to make disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment